According to a November 2020 survey by the American Council on Education, 68% of college and university presidents listed student mental health and well-being as the top pressing concern for their campuses. Yet many campuses need help to increase and fortify their support of student mental health and emotional well-being.
“Mental health is more critical now than ever and colleges and universities need to take a comprehensive, strategic approach to mental health and emotional well-being,” says Ethan Fields, senior manager of Higher Education Program Outreach & Promotion at JED. “Comprehensive support for student mental health and well-being can positively contribute to academic outcomes, student retention, and graduation rates.”.
Thanks to the generous support of the Morgan Stanley Foundation, JED’s dedicated guidance will now be available to more colleges and universities via JED Campus Fundamentals based on the signature four-year program model, JED Campus, which helps campuses prioritize student mental health through systemic change and equitable implementation.
Many campuses, especially community and technical colleges, may not have the resources or capacity to commit to the four- year program, therefore, the newly launched JED Campus Fundamentals program provides 18 months of dedicated support from a JED Campus Advisor and a learning community of other campuses that can provide resources and assistance as needed.
The essential components of the JED Campus Fundamentals program based on JED’s proven four-year program model include:
- Forming an interdisciplinary task force including administrators, faculty, staff, and students to address mental health and well-being efforts
- Administering the JED Campus baseline assessment measuring systems, policies, and programs
- Providing a comprehensive feedback report outlining areas for enhancement and growth
- A virtual consultation visit to review feedback and begin strategic planning
- A comprehensive mental health strategic plan with objectives and action steps for implementation
- Ongoing support from a dedicated JED Campus Advisor for the duration of the 18-month program
- Access to the JED Campus Learning Community, Playbook, and trainings for the duration of the program
Additionally, schools dedicated to strengthening the mental health safety net for their students can take advantage of the opportunity to customize the program to their unique needs and to extend into the full four-year program if they choose to do so.
Supporting the mental health of young people is more critical now than ever, and JED is committed to working with higher education institutions to meet this urgent need. Now, with JED Campus Fundamentals, JED will partner with more campuses to reach even more students with vital mental health support.
Learn more about JED Campus Fundamentals here.